Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Don't pass out in this church or they're gonna make out with you.

This is a picture I took in a church I visited the other week. I'm not sure whether it was the soiled, frayed edges or the retro style red and black font that caught my attention. But it certainly stood out.


It's hard to see in the photo, but the copyright date is written in the lower right-hand corner. As you might have guessed, its from the early 70's. I probably don't have to tell you this, but CPR practices have changed slightly over the last 40 years. 


According to the American Heart Association website (which did not exist when the above poster was made), there are only two steps to performing CPR. And only one of those two steps appears on this poster. They are as follows. 

1. Call 911.

2. Use your palms to push hard and fast on the center of the chest. 

Maybe it's unfortunate that they've taken out all the steps where you make out with an unconscious and likely complete stranger. But nevertheless, that's what they decided to do. 

Since you and I both know churches are notorious for these kind of  instructional posters, I thought I'd share this with you and encourage you to check your church walls for out dated medical advice. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment