Sunday, November 2, 2014

I lost a theological debate with my 9 year old.

On Saturday I was driving around with my family waiting for my 2 year old son to fall asleep (sometimes that's the only way he'll conk out). And we inadvertently stumbled into a theological debate that I lost.



Allison and I were telling Scarlett how many times we had each been arrested (I'm winning by the way). At one point Scarlett said, "It's ok. God made you both just perfect." Like any humble parent (or so I thought) I cracked down on that remark quickly

I quickly added, "Well, we're definitely not perfect. Only Jesus is perfect."

But she didn't skip a beat. She simply retorted, "Yeah, but didn't Jesus forgive all of your sins?" I opened my mouth, but no words came out. She was right. I could probably have given some response, but it would have only been out of arrogance.

Is it true that Allison and I still make mistakes and even intentionally do things we're not supposed to? Yes. But the immediacy of Jesus' forgiveness is also at the core of our relationship with Him, even to the point where the Bible says he died that we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21).

I tend to complicate things. I want to grow in knowledge, but knowledge tends to puff up. God's greatest truths are the simple ones. They're so simple, in fact, that even a child can understand them. Those are the ones to hold on to. Those are the ones that matter most.

But what do you think? Do you agree, disagree, or even think I'm just blowing smoke. Please chime in in the comment section below.

Warmly,
Tim

6 comments:

  1. Scarlett is theologically spot on, and there is wisdom in your response to the situation. A miracle of God's truth is that it can be studied and peeled back one layer at a time so that much knowledge can come from it. The basic and most important points of that truth can be understood and clearly shared by a nine year old. In fact, without that child-like faith, it is impossible for any of us to approach the Throne: "And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3 (NIV)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the child-like faith verse was running throughu mind while I was writing this. Thank you for making sure it made it to the post.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is sin necessary for the ultimate masterpiece of life to be complete? Can we become the true christians He needs us to be without it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michala, I'm hoping to get at the heart of what you're asking, so don't hesitate to push back if I miss the mark.

      Sin is like the nose on your face. It's not necessary, but it's there. Sin is not needed for the masterpiece of your life to be complete, but the lessons that come out of facing and overcoming our sins certainly make the masterpiece more brilliant.

      And in order to become the true Christians He wants us to be, we must be without sin, but that's what Jesus gives us access to (a life without sin). And along with that, we get to keep all the lessons, strength, and toughness of skin that we accumulate while living in a sinful world.

      I hope that's helpful.

      Delete
  4. Luther put it in the phrase: "at once saint and sinner". We still offend our Father in our willful sin and in ignorance, but He has made us His sons and daughters, and clothed us in the perfect righteousness of Christ.
    Hope you are well, friend.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete