Tuesday, September 30, 2014

My atheist neighbor has been a better Christian than me.

The goal of all Christian/Non-Christian relationships is for us to declare the gospel to them through our actions and words... right?


Photo courtesy of Steve Snodgrass at flickr.com
Obviously, we're supposed to share the gospel with the world (Matt 28:19-20). But I'm beginning to think there's possibly a way to take the Great Commission too far. And before anyone builds a cross on which to crucify me for saying that, let me explain. 

A few weeks ago, my boss asked me if I'd be willing to preach on Hebrews 13:1-2. 

"Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Since I never say no to preaching, I said yes. Normally I toss out the verses he gives me, and find ones I like better. But this time I decided to challenge myself and study a text that I'm less familiar with. And what I'm learning goes a little against my baptist background. 

Ancient neighbors
Verse two begins with a command for the church to, "not neglect to show hospitality to strangers." And the hospitality he's talking about is closely connected with Jewish culture. Back in the day, Jews were hospitable simply because it was part of their lives as God's people. Generosity, and sharing were simply a central part of their days. 

So if you were a Jew during the centuries B.C. and a traveler's path brought him across your door, then you'd naturally invite him in and prepare a meal for him. It's something you wouldn't think twice about. And the author of Hebrews seems to be reminding Christians in the early church not to lose that spirit of generosity.

My atheist neighbor
Today many Christians have lost the hospitable spirit. For the most part, people don't talk to each other. In neighborhoods like mine, you can enter and exit your house through the garage without having to breathe a breath of outdoor air. And that's frequently exactly what I do. 

Sometimes I feel convicted about that. There's a piece of my heart that cries out But I'm not sharing the gospel, or being the hands and feet of the church! So I make plans. I start thinking about all my relationships with people, and how I can squeeze Jesus into our next encounter, or even manipulate the situation so maybe they'll ask about Him. 

The only problem is, when that's my motivation, my generosity can at times become phony. I'll invite neighbors over for dinner, and be thinking When is the best time to cram Jesus into our conversation? 

At that point, my relationships with non-Christians become a means to an end. My friendships are just an angle in order to complete the Great Commission. It's like a prom date who tells his girlfriend he wants her to get in the back of his car so he an tell her how beautiful she is. 

My neighbor isn't like that at all. He doesn't even go to church. But within the first few months of him moving in, I mentioned that I was shopping around for a heavy bag for my home gym. His response was simple. He said, "Oh, dude. Come with me." and he grabbed a brand new heavy bag out of his shed and handed it to me. I asked how much it was so I could pay him for it, but he just waved his hand and kinda blew my question off, and motioned for me to take the bag. 

He was being generous and hospitable with no strings attached. And that's exactly the kind of love God's people should be showing to the world. We shouldn't be loving our neighbors solely in order to tell people about God's love. We should be loving our neighbors simply because we know God's love. 

What about you, what's the most hospitable thing anyone has ever done for you? Use the space below to leave your comment... or debate. Remember, I'm preaching about this this Sunday. If you see an arguable point, I want to know about it.

Thanks for reading,
Tim

8 comments:

  1. When I was in MOS School in the Marine Corp, my bunk mate Marshall was a born again Christian and I an atheist. One day I had a nightmare that my wife, Darlene, had died in a car crash on her way to our upcoming graduation. The shock of this sent me into a catatonic state for several hours. After not being able to rouse me, Marshall called for help. I wound up in the hospital and as fate would have, a patient named Darlene was admitted and put into one of the rooms. Upon hearing that Darlene was in room 2, I startled everyone by jumping up and looking for her. Going from room to room, throwing MPs out of my way, looking but never finding my wife. Eventually being overpowered my many MPs, a nurse with a shot of Valium, and my bunk mate Marshall, who had stayed with me the entire time, I remember hearing his gentle soothing voice praying over me and for me, while every one else was shouting. In the midst of my confusion, while every one else was focused on keeping me contained, he was concerned with my well being. He could have easily stayed behind at the barracks, letting the professionals take it from here, but he did not. He stayed with me, doing all he could.

    Good luck Tim, looking forward to hearing you preach Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an amazing story. Thank you for sharing that Jim. Marshall seems like a great example to follow!

      Delete
  2. Would you agree that hospitality begins in our own family system, extending to parents and grandparents first, and then to the "world" around us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I'm admittedly still studying the passage, it seems like the author's first statement that says, "Let brotherly love continue" is potentially first because it is prominent. So, yes. From the text, it seems like there is a priority on love within the Christian family first. And I think that Acts 2:45 supports that idea.

      Great insight Star. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I'm like you, Tim (aren't we always?). I strategize and plan to make opportunities to share Christ. Yet, I find I can barely fit in time to do something unselfish for my neighbors. It has to be about loving (sacrificing myself, my time, my resources, my energy) and not about some agenda, no matter how well intentioned. If we shift the focus to that, and lose the agenda, I think we'll get it right. That is not to say we don't endeavor to share the Gospel whenever we can. Rather it says love is our first motive and the Gospel should follow as a natural part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My perspective has always been that you need to have a genuine relationship with someone before speaking about Jesus and His truth will be received eagerly. Otherwise isn't it like that annoying telemarketer who won't accept no for an answer. My neighbor, also non Christian, is just about the most generous person I've ever met...from fixing my car, loaning things without being asked, walking my dog in the morning when he takes his, replacing a lock on a shed that was busted, engaging my kids in conversation so they feel like they matter. He even rounded up a couple bikes for my kids to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your neighbor sounds awesome. Examples like his are where we should start when it comes to hospitality within the church. Thanks.

      Delete