Friday, June 20, 2014

I hope this quote kicks you in the spiritual crotch as hard as it did me.

Charles Stanley is one of America's favorite preachers. He leads a baptist church in Atlanta that reaches thousands of people each week. And his television, book and radio ministries reach millions of people every year.


Photo courtesy of Slowdevil on Flickr.com
He's also pretty old. Google says he's like 81. So, in my mind, he might as well be a million. And for that reason, I always assumed he was out of touch with my generation, and had nothing to offer me. So I've tuned into the teachings of his son, Andy, whom God is also using to do amazing things. 

But occasionally (and by occasionally, I mean almost constantly) God shows me that my bias assumptions are wrong. And not too long ago, He used a quote from Charles Stanley to give me a swift kick in my spiritual crotch. 

I was reading Charles Stanley's book, The Ultimate Conversation, which I bought because it was on clearance at a local Christian store. And much to my surprise, the book spoke directly into my life. I became enthralled with Charles' take on communicating with God. 

I sat in my office, making my way through the first few chapters, and then I reached the top of page 38 where I read, 

"Your intimacy with God, (which is) His first priority for your life, determines the impact of your life."

I've always heard people talk about how rewarding intimacy with God can be. But I'm a junkie for personal development. More than anything, I want to discover more potential in my life in order to be useful to God. 

I had never considered that my intimacy with Him would determine my usefulness. I always thought, I'll work my butt off while I'm on earth to be useful to God, and there'll be plenty of time for intimacy in eternity. But Charles Stanley's one quote changed my whole perspective. It's helped me understand that, God cares most about His intimacy with us. And if I want to discover more potential in my life and leadership, my intimacy with God is not only the starting line, its the whole race. 

Oh, I also realized that elderly people have a lot to offer with regards to wisdom and life experience, and that I was being a judgmental bigot. So, that's not good. Fortunately for me, God is patient with dumb people.

Question: What's the quote that sticks out in your mind from your favorite book, speech, or conversation?
I'd love to know your answer. You can leave your response in the comment section below. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment