Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Regular waitresses are teaching the key to limitless inspiration, don't miss out!

There's a little cafe near my house that I go to frequently. So frequently, in fact, that I don't even have to order anymore. When I sit down, my favorite waitress, Sherrie, brings me a cup of coffee and a number 1 (sunny-side up, hash browns, wheat toast).

Photo courtesy of Chris Goldberg at Flickr.com
There are a lot of things that make that cafe my favorite breakfast joint, but near the top of the list is that, in more than 5 years of eating there, Sherrie has never let my coffee cup sit empty for more than a minute or two. Every few minutes, she passes my table and tops me off. And I always drink way too much coffee when I go there. And curing a recent visit, Sherrie's service showed me where I had been missing out big time in my own life.

One waitress. One outstanding inspiration.
Last week I got to the cafe a little early for breakfast with with an old friend. As it just so happened, I was in the middle of a creative funk. I felt exhausted and a little burned out. I had even been having a bit of writers block. I was sitting at one of the tables waiting for my friend to come by when Sherrie stopped by, topped off my coffee and said, "There you go, hun."

As I sat enjoying my coffee and waiting, I thought about the weeks leading up to my creative funk. I realized I hand't been filling my own cup. As my life got busier, and more stressful I stopped doing the things that motivate and inspire. I had become too busy to read, write, reflect, and meditate on ideas that are worth sharing.

I had stopped working hard to discover more potential in my life. And without my regular inspirations, I had let my creative cup run empty. Quickly, creative ideas became more and more challenging to come up with. And it was amazing how quickly my thought life became boring and stale.

The working of a creative mind
People often make the mistake of thinking that creative people are just born that way, but it doesn't work like that. Creativity is born out of the many things that motivate and inspire us each day. Zig Ziglar put it best when he said, "People often say motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Inspiration has to be sought on a daily basis. In the same way that Sherrie consistently stops by to refill my coffee, you and I have to regularly practice the things that ignite our fires and drive us to become the very best versions of ourselves that we can be. And when we take the initiative to fill our own cups with inspiration, we'll gain access to limitless creativity!

I've started rekindling my creative side by picking up a book I haven't touched in a while. It's called A Ministry of Intersession: A Plea For More Prayer by Andrew Murray. It's a stellar book, and the Kindle version is FREE, so I definitely recommend it.

But I want to hear from you. What are the things you do regularly to keep your cup filled, and your inspiration flowing? Please leave your answer in the comment section below.

Thank you for joining me in discovering more potential!
Tim

2 comments:

  1. A law in chemistry, an increase in surface area increase the rate of reaction. So I do not look in 1 place for inspiration, but in many, from books to poems to quotes, from plays to tv shows to movies, from sermons to talk radio to music to blogs (like this one), from yoga to dance to darts. Remembering that the source of all of these are other minds searching to improve the world, even if at the time all they saw themselves doing was "playing with pebbles on the beach of truth, searching for a prettier stone" (Sir Isaac Newton). Or in much simpler terms, from Joseph Campbel, "Follow Your Bliss".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloquently stated Jim. Even if I didn't know you, it'd be readily apparent from your comment that you keep your cup filled. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete