Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Crucial Conversation You Need To Have With Your Team Members

Last night I sat at my patio table with one of my team members. We had a very important conversation. He is at an important crossroad in his life, but we didn't talk about that. Our church is at a crucial juncture that will determine it's survival, but we didn't talk about that either.




Instead, we spent about 90 minutes talking about... whatever. We just sat in the cool night air and chatted. It was great, and we both needed it. 

I'm a productivity junky. And it's no coincidence that a lot of the people on my team are the same way. For that reason, it's easy to fall into the trap where productivity is king, and a lot of the really important 'stuff' of life gets left by the wayside. The result is that our humanity gets neglected, which ironically hurts our productivity. I've been experiencing this lately. I've had so many meetings that focused on church vision, leadership, worship leading, writing, personal growth, etc. that I've started to get tunnel vision.

Sometimes its important to set down the task list, schedule, ideas, and even the vision to just talk with each other. There's always something that needs to be done. And for each thing on your task list, there are probably a couple conversations that need to be had. But the crucial conversation that we need to include with our team members is the one with no agenda. 

You can join the conversation with other leaders like you on the Tim H. Swanson Facebook page, or by following on Twitter, or join the community by signing up for email updates and get a FREE copy of my new ebook, Good Fight.


Cover photo courtesy of N Stjerna at Flickr.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment