Wednesday, June 4, 2014

6 Lessons Cage Fighting Taught Me About My Spiritual Life

Once I fought this mammoth of a man, named Marvin. Before our fight, he was standing in his corner literally just doing back-flips. It was intimidating... and confusing. When the bell rang, we touched gloves and started fighting. Almost right away, he connected with a right hook that felt like a cinder block hitting the side of my head. I immediately thought I'm done, I don't want to do this anymore.

Photo courtesy of MartialArtsNomad.com at Flickr.com

Being a Christian is, in a lot of ways, like being a cage fighter. As a result, there are some significant similarities, and lessons that Christians can draw from competition fighting. Fighting and Christianity are so analogous, in fact, that Paul draws the picture, in the Bible, while writing to a young pastor named Timothy. 

"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Tim 6:12
In addition to Paul's words, there are a surprising number of other ways that fighting is similar to following Jesus. Here are the six that have most impacted me.

1. "It's all about how you fight when you're tired." When I'm sparring and I begin to get exhausted, my trainer reminds me of the former statement. The truth is, when you're in the final round, and you've already given everything you've got, you still have to keep going. In that moment, it's all about how you fight when you're tired.

It's the same for Christians. Jesus was a great example of this. The gospel books all recount roman guards beating, mocking and blaspheming Jesus just before they crucified him. That was more than a little unpleasant for Jesus. And in that moment, it would have been easy for Jesus to relent, break his bindings, call down an army of angels, and crush anyone who stood against him. But he didn't. He stayed the course and led with love; even to the point of asking God to forgive his abusers. And we face the same calling. When we're tired, and beat down by the world and critical people, it's important to remember James' immortal words that point us to an attitude like Jesus':

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires" James 1:19-20

2. It's going to hurt. On Sunday morning, people at my church will ask me, "why do you voluntarily participate in a sport where you get punched in the face?" But I might turn the same question around on them, "Why do you participate in a faith that causes others to hate you, and curse your name and God?"

The obvious answer to both questions is to count the benefits. Being a fighter comes with lots of benefits. You learn how to defend yourself and your family. You'll be in the best shape of your life. You'll get the chance to really see what you're made of.

Being a Christian gives you the obvious benefit of having a redeemed relationship with God, and being adopted into His forever family. You'll live an eternal life in His presence. And you'll get to play an important role in the development of His kingdom on earth, which is pretty awesome.

3. Your success depends, to a large degree, on whom you are listening to. When I fight, my trainer is always sitting in my corner. During the rounds, he shouts different moves and combos that he wants me to throw. It's taken me some time, but I've noticed a pattern - When I do it my way, I get my butt kicked. When I follow his voice, I get medals.

It's exactly the same with your relationship with God. As you've likely realized, doing things in your own power won't get you very far (if you haven't figured that out, don't worry, you will). But when you do listen to his voice, you get more than medals. Typically, you'll get more than you ever could have imagined.

4. It requires all of you. I once came to a training session while I was furious about something in another area of my life. With my mind on something else, I had sloppy form and couldn't throw a proper combo to save my life. It didn't take long for him to catch on, and he asked me, "what's wrong?" After I told him what I was angry about, he said, "That sucks man. But while you're in here, you have to put that stuff aside. You need to focus."

Similarly, our relationship with God requires all of us. Obviously God doesn't want us to ignore our hurts in order to follow Him. Instead, He wants us to bring our hurts to Him, and rely entirely on His power to solve our problems. God wants us to be 100% with Him.:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship." Romans 12:1

5. You win some, you lose some. Everybody loses eventually, even Muhammad Ali. And after you trust in Jesus, you'll still fail and fall short of God's best for your life. The trick is to get back up, and get back in the fight.

6. You're looking for a future reward. There's this poster that hangs near the ring at my gym. It shows a young Muhammad Ali hitting a heavy bag. Above the image, there is one of his famous quotes:

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now, and live the rest of your life as a champion." -Muhammad Ali.
It's the same for the Church. The things we're offered, by the world, don't hold a candle to the rewards we are storing up in heaven.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21


Back to Marvin
After Marvin hit me with his cinder block fist, I didn't throw in the towel. I put my hands back up, and got back into the fight. Then, about a minute later, I was stunned when I hit Marvin and he stumbled backwards and fell over. I couldn't believe it. When he got back up, I felt recharged. I met him with a renewed passion for fighting. I gave it everything I had, and walked away with the medal.

I often think about that fight as it relates to my relationship with God. When I mess up, do something I know I shouldn't, or even get screwed over by someone else, I remember how it felt when Marvin hit me the head. And I think about how that fight turned around. And as I do that, life has become a series of little victories in a broken world. Today I know I'll never be defeated because Jesus is my strength.

Question: What does 'fighting the good fight' mean in your life right now?

You're welcome to leave a comment below with your answer, or your thoughts about this post. Thank you for reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment