Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Where my mind actually was, while I was leading worship, last Sunday.

Last Sunday, I was standing on stage, leading the congregation in singing. I was also completely tuned out. I was singing and smiling, but my mind was somewhere else.

Photo courtesy of David Joyce at Flickr.com

Just before the service started, one of the church's regular attenders walked into the auditorium. His hair was disheveled, and he had big low hanging bags under his eyes. He schluffed across the room to where I was standing, and asked if I had a minute to talk before the service. 
In my office, he briefly explained the circumstances that led to CPS taking his grandson away from his daughter the previous night. He and his whole family were completely exhausted that morning. As we got close to the beginning of the next service, I prayed with him and we went back to the auditorium. 

When the lights came up, I counted off the first song for the band. Physically, I was there. I played, and sang, and encouraged others to sing. But my mind was on my friend, and his family. I wondered How can I expect him and his family to meet with God this morning. They're almost certainly in shock. This is easily one of the worst things a family can go through. I wish there was something I could do to cut through the pain and help them connect. Then a verse popped my mind. A verse that, in all honesty, I had to Google to find the reference. 

"He gives strength to the weary, and gives power to the weak." - Isaiah 40:29

Then it clicked, and I remembered Oh yeah, all this stuff is supposed to done with God's strength, not mine." It's easy for me to forget that I'm not God. I quickly take on responsibility for everyone around me. Then I usually don't realize that I've gone nuts until I'm completely stressed out from trying to be all things for all people. Fortunately, going through that process always yields the best realization - God is God, I'm not, and that's a good thing. Then I was able to do the thing I should have started with. I trusted God with the well-being of my friend and his family, prayed for them, and joined the rest of the church in worship.

Question: What area(s) of your life have you had to turn control back over to God?
Leave your answer or thoughts in the comment section below.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment